I am nannying this summer for a little girl; she's 9. She had a friend over today and as they were playing in the pool the phrase "let's pretend that.." was repeated numerously until it began to mean something else.
A young child when playing at pretend, just states the world he envisions. "I'm a magician that flys airplanes in my spare time. Don't you love being at the beach?" It makes sense. As babies we learn the world revolves around us, so is it so hard to believe that if you decide something that others will automatically except your world too?
But ofcourse we grow older, and the destinction between reality and make-believe is made. Then it becomes neccessary to preface imaginative thoughts with, "let's pretend."
So what of adulthood? Can we play pretend too? I mean I guess we do, its just in our heads. "Lets pretend" has become "What if" and rather than acting something out we all sit and imagine.
Thank god I'm an actor. I can be the child who hasn't even learned "lets pretend." I assume realities in acting classes and my classmates except them wholeheartedly.
I'd like to conclude this with something more profound...but that's all I got: Thank God I'm an actor.
1 comment:
Becca Woolbright, you never told me that you had a blog!! What the duece? Now I can at least some semblance of an idea of how you're doing, whereas before I could only imagine. Thanks for your comment. It was great to see you too, and I'm glad that I made you feel better. Once I'm home in a couple of weeks, I may actually call you to see how things are going, seeing as I'll actually be able to call long distance! My affection and esteem,
Daniel
Post a Comment