Saturday, December 20, 2003

Please excuse my nerdy nastalgic nuttyness

Opening Thanksgiving Day and running through the weekend before Christmas at The Springer Opera House, the theater here in Columbus, is the holiday show. Its a different show every year, last year it was Annie, this year Camelot. I'm trying to get all the explaining stuff out so I can actually talk, so bear with. Well, tonight, I went to usher and watch Camelot; lots of weirdness. There were people in it that I've been doing shows with since I was knee high, there were people I've never met. There were these little kids running crew (okay so maybe they're sophomores or juniors in highschool-but that's so teeeeeny!) I had to ask someone for the code to go in the stage door (back door)-tear.

But this entry isn't supposed to be about that weirdness we're all probably experiancing right now being home, instead I want to tell you about the Springer. I know you're starting to look away now, "Oh my gosh, she's going to bore us to death about some stupid building." I'll try really hard not to, I promise! Its just, that building is as much a part of me as dancing, singing, my family, etc. If I've been able to relay to y'all one tenth of how much dancing means to me, you can begin to understand my love of the Springer.

Imagine your house-you know how comfortable you are there, how you feel comfortable being yourself, lounging around, stretching the rules a bit. Now, add the smell of fresh paint, saw dust, stored clothes, and 131 years of preceding history, ahhh. Finally, toss in a couple of ghosts. This is the hardest element to grasp. The first reaction to ghosts is fear, and honestly from time to time there's a little bit of that, but then you have to remember its your house, so your fear is eased because you're so perfectly at home. I'm not sure why I'm writting this....I guess I just feel so blessed to have been able to grow up there. We live in a city (Charleston) where so much increadible history took place but I feel like the essence of that history is not always present. In the Springer, history permeates the air; when you stand on that stage you are extremely conscious of the earlier presence of amazing people like Edwin Booth. The more I write, I realize this all means nothing to you, and bless you if you've read this far. I just wish there were some way I could transfer my experiance of being there to you so you'd understand....its the strongest feeling in me right now...it reminds me why I'm doing all this theater stuff in the first place.

No comments: