Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sometimes I marvel at the fact that I can talk to someone for longer than one minute. Seriously, a minute is all the time you need to cover, hey, how are you, and how's the fam? Isn't incredible that we can talk for hours to some people, and have nothing to say to others?

And then, there are those people who can talk to anyone for hours! How, how do you do that? I don't understand.

I mean, I think I'm a smart, well-rounded person. I read books, the newspaper, and listen to NPR. I've had some neat experiences in life. But sometimes, even if I think the person in front of me is the coolest most interesting person I know, I still have nothing to say. Actually, I think my problem is made worse when they are someone I think is cool. All that runs through my mind is "you're really cool, like, really cool" and then nothing comes out of my mouth.

Is there a class I can take on this? Holding a Conversation 101. That'd be nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me, too, man. One of my old roommates can keep people chatting forever because she has a child-like curiosity and no filter on what comes out of her mouth. She asks endless questions because she really wants to know. Maybe that's the ticket; just ask random-ass questions. Unless the person you're talking to is like me and just gives you a "go to hell" look and walks away. Then, back to the drawing board.