Sunday, May 02, 2004

Everything on my mind except school.

It seems like we've always been asked to figure out our morals so that we wouldn't have figure them out in the moment. The whole, if you decide now not to drink if you're put in a situation where you're around people drinking you will be less likely to go back on your decision, kinda thing. Well that's a nice theory, isn't it?

The thing is, we are constantly changing our morals and levels of exceptance whether we are aware of it or not.

When I was in lower school, I said I would never use curse words. At that point "crap" was such a bad word! And although I still don't advocate using curse words in the every-other-word-in-my-speach way, if I get upset or mad, it wouldn't be beyond me to say fuck. The word that I thought was the worst of them all.

These changes are so gradual we barely notice them until we look back. Some of them so subtle they'll go unnoticed. So then what's right and what's wrong? Was I right when I was in elementary and now I'm being bad? Or was I unrealistic in elementary and now I'm being practical?

I had a friend once who wanted to wait until marriage before she kissed anyone. Wow...what a decision. And I know people who have made it. But for what ever reason my friend changed her mind and has kissed before marriage. Should she veiw it as she's gone against her morals? or that her morals have changed?

So that brings up this. If we can in fact change our morals, then can we ever go against them? If I do something I always said I wouldn't do and didn't believe in, rather than saying I've gone against my morals, could I just say that I've recreated them? If so, what's the point in even determining what I believe to be right and what I believe to be wrong?

Why not just live from moment to moment making decisions on what I think is right for me at the time? The problem, how can you have a clear perspective in the moment?

So I'm back at square one. Takin life as it comes with whatever experiance and knowledge I've gained thus far.

No comments: